When it comes to selecting a desirable vacuum cleaner, chances are you already accept the fact that it is going to be loud. After all, just about every single vacuum you have ever come in contact with is louder than just about anything else you own. After all, creating a vacuum within a movable device requires a good amount of air pressure, and this does not simply happen quietly. However, while a vacuum cleaner is always going to be loud, it does not mean it needs to be deafening. In fact, it is possible for you to find excellent, quiet vacuum cleaners that can still produce an incredible amount of cleaning potential.
Why Shop For A Quiet Vacuum?
When it is time to vacuum your home, choosing a quiet model can help reduce some of the stress and inconvenience that comes with the device. Consider how the noise level is so loud that it makes it next to impossible for you to hear your phone ring or your kids crying. And if you have a headache, the last thing that you want to do is have to pull out the vacuum. Or, if you have pets in the house, then the noise may cause some distress for them.
How Much Quieter Can You Expect?
Before spending the money on a new vacuum, you might be wondering just how much loud noise you can expect to be reduced by making the switch. The easiest way to explain the difference between regular and quiet models is in the sound level that each type outputs. With most normal home vacs, you are looking at between 74 and 81 decibels of noise output. For the quieter models, the sound output is considerably lower at levels under 72 decibels. And, you can lower the noise level even more just by using the proper brush for the vacuum hose – the reduction can be as much as 50%!
What Is The Quietest Type Of Vacuum?
First off, when you select a new vacuum cleaner you are going to find that you either have the option to purchase a bagless vacuum cleaner or one that still uses bags. You might have a personal preference, but you need to think about what object absorbs and prevents the escape of sound better than others. On one side, you have plastic, often times of which is very thick. On the other hand, you have essentially a paper bag. The thin cardboard does nothing in terms of sound retention, which is why you need to look towards the bagless variety.
Why You Need A Well Designed Build
You might have noticed that vacuum cleaners that are quieter tend to cost more money than other options. Quieter does not simply cost more, it is instead the quality of the build. Noise retention is all about creating a space that does not allow the sound waves to escape through. An inferior vacuum cleaner has several different openings and is not tight, which results in spaces that allow the sound waves to escape. However, with a well put together vacuum cleaner, the gaps are extremely small, if there are any at all. This reduces the amount of space for the sound waves to move through, reducing the sound of the vacuum cleaner.
If you have ever used a vacuum such as a Dyson before, you are going to notice two different things. First, the vacuum works exceptionally well and is one of the best devices at picking up dirt and debris from the floor. The second is simply how well put together it is. There are no loose pieces, the equipment snaps in together and is extremely secure. However, with an inferior vacuum cleaner, it is louder, has larger openings between pieces and it also does not clean as well. Of course, a tighter, better put together vacuum cleaner does not have openings that can reduce the quality of the vacuum as air escapes.
When it comes to finding the right vacuum cleaner for your needs, keep in mind that you do not need to purchase something that is extremely loud. It all comes down to how well the vacuum is put together and if the cleaner is a bagless option or if it still uses one of the older bag variations.
Considerations When You Go to Buy Quiet Vacuum Cleaners
Although vacuum cleaning technology has been around for more than 50 years, it is only within the last decade or so that new advances in engine design, filtration and power supply have allowed for vacuum cleaners to operate in a much quieter fashion than earlier predecessors. Popular for performing housework when family members or room-mates are sleeping or at unconventional hours, quiet vacuum cleaners have become one of the most popular genres of vacuum cleaners on the market today. With a wide variety of sound-reducing styles and designs to choose from, it is important to understand what sets quiet vacuum cleaners apart from more traditional models.
Much like more traditional full-volume vacuum cleaners, quieter models come in a variety of styles including canisters, electro-brush, motorized brush bar, and upright models. Some quiet vacuum cleaners are less noisy due to greater insulation and improvements in the way air is circulated while other quiet models rely on advanced electric motors to reduce the amount of sound emitted during operation.
The 10 Best Quiet Vacuum Cleaners
The first entry on our list might raise a few eye brows, it is a little unusual, and a unique entry on our list. That is the Hoover Commercial Backpack vacuum. Yes, a backpack vacuum. You might think that sounds a little strange, but it’s great actually, and with an operating volume of around 66dBa, it is very quiet for a vacuum cleaner, a great alternative even to a quiet shop vac cleaner.
It is a great choice, particularly for commercial settings, it’s light weight (less than 10lbs) and you’re not having to trail around the cannister as you work your way round the cleaning space. It’s a great choice for people with a bad back, which is no surprise as the harness was designed by a chiropractor.
The Hoover backpack vacuum, comes with a full accessory kit with 5 different cleaning heads in total. These include cleaning heads for upholstery and for tight spaces like down the sides of the sofa.
- Just 66 decibel output
- Lightweight design for optimal maneuverability
- Unique backpack design – harness designed by a chiropractor
- Can handle both smooth flooring and low-pile carpet
- Weighs just 10 pounds
- Long 48 ft cord provides great range.
- Straps can be fiddly to adjust
- The length if the cleaning wand is not adjustable
The Hoover Commercial Backpack vacuum offers great range with an extra long 48ft cord. It incorporates Hoover’s Hypercore HEPA filter with an easy to empty drum. It’s everything you need from a commercial cleaner where you want to produce as little noise as possible.AVAILABLE ON AMAZON
A quiet canister model well-designed to be extremely lightweight and manoeuvrable, the Miele Compact C1 features one-touch operation and a 6-speed control dial for cleaning different surface types. The lowest speed settings can operate around the 65dBa range but the highest stretches over 71 dBa. The wand with clip-on accessories make reaching corners, dusting and vacuuming furnishings simple and easy. The included air filter does a great job of returning only clean air while the vacuum head easily removes dirt, debris and hair from rugs, smooth flooring and low-pile carpeting.
- Just 65 decibels of noise generated at low speed settings
- Lightweight at only 14.8 pounds
- Can handle hard/smooth flooring and low-pile carpeting
- Ultra-wide 29-feet cleaning radius
- Clip-on accessories for cleaning furniture, reaching crevices and dusting
- Includes the company’s trademark Air Clean filter
- Miele make good vacuums!
- Not designed for deep-pile carpeting
- Uses filter bags so these will need replaced over time
Despite its design and quiet operation, the Miele Compact C1 is powerful enough to easily tackle daily vacuuming chores around the house, including dusting, cleaning furnishings and vacuuming large areas of smooth floors or low-pile carpeting. A great choice if you are looking for a quiet compact vacuum.AVAILABLE ON AMAZON
With the company’s classic Henry smiling face design, the Numatic Henry Vacuum Cleaner combines powerful suction with reduced sound output, making it one of the highest-performing quiet vacuum cleaners currently available on the market. The included Airo Powerbrush is designed to efficiently and thoroughly remove stubborn pet hair from even low-pile carpet while the included activated charcoal filter provides unparalleled odor control.
- Only 74 db of noise when used at maximum power
- Cheerful Henry design makes cleaning fun
- Lengthy 30-feet cable makes vacuuming large areas easy
- Patented 3-stage Microfresh system filters out odors, allergens and dust
- Included Airo Powerbrush is ideal for removing stubborn pet hair
- Designed for both carpets and smooth flooring
- Weighs just 24 pounds and is easily maneuverable
- Telescoping wand can occasionally collapse unexpectedly
- Can sometimes struggle to clean deep-pile carpet
Widely popular both for its powerful suction design and quirky, friendly design, the Numatic Henry Vacuum Cleaner is a well-rounded vacuum cleaner easily able to handle daily cleaning chores of flooring, carpeting and furniture. With a huge 30-feet cable and simple cord retractor, the Numatic Henry Vacuum Cleaner can easily provide quality cleaning of larger rooms and spaces. The included Airo Powerbrush is nearly unrivaled in its ability to remove pet hair and the triple stage filtration system does an outstanding job of removing dust, odors, and allergens from the air while in operation.AVAILABLE ON AMAZON
One of the leading pioneers in quiet vacuuming technology, the Electrolux Sanitaire SC3700A Quiet Clean Canister Vacuum does an outstanding job of providing powerful suction in combination with an advanced HEPA filtration system that safely and effectively removes pollen, dust and hair from flooring, furnishings and rugs. Five different attachments make dusting, reaching crevices and cleaning furniture simple and easy while the large one-pound bag system allows for volume vacuuming before needing to be replenished.
- A maximum of 68 dB output when at maximum power
- Weighs just 23 pounds for easily maneuverability and storage
- Striking red and black design
- Advanced HEPA filtration system removes allergens and irritants from the air
- Lengthy power cord allows for quick cleaning of large rooms
- Comes with five different attachments
- Dual-action design is perfect for smooth floors or low-pile carpeting and rugs
- The cord is not retractable
- Not designed for deep-pile carpets
Sleek and slim, the Electrolux Sanitaire SC3700A Quiet Clean Canister Vacuum is perfect for homeowners who want to quietly and effectively vacuum large areas in combination with an advanced HEPA filter. The included five attachments that clip on to the main wand make it simple to clean crevices, dust, and clean furniture. The simple one-push button design and rugged engineering make the Electrolux Sanitaire SC3700A Quiet Clean Canister Vacuum an outstanding vacuum cleaner for regular clean-up use around the house.AVAILABLE ON AMAZON
From the brand that lent its name to vacuum cleaning technology itself, the Hoover Commercial Hush Tone Upright Vacuum is an amazingly powerful cleaning system. Featuring an ultra-quiet HUSH mode that operates at under 69dBa, and more powerful setting for deep cleaning thick carpets. The HEPA filter is rinsible to extend its useful lifespan, and the HushTone comes with a sealed allergen system utilizing Hoover’s Hexaguard technology. These features allow the capture of up to 99% of dirt and dust.
- 1.6 Horsepower, Powerful upright design easily cleans carpet
- Advanced HEPA filtration system with Autoseal bag removes allergens, pollen and dust from the air
- Intuitive two-speed motor
- Patented Intellibelt Protection Sensor stops belt damage before it can happen
- HUSH cleaning mode for ultra-quiet 69-decibel operation
- Perfect for commercial spaces
- Bit on the heavy side at 18.5 lbs
- Doesn’t come with onboard tools for specialty cleaning situations
Designed for handling both smooth flooring and carpeting with ease, the Hoover Commercial Hush Tone Upright Vacuum is truly a professional-grade but ultra quiet vacuum cleaner.
Astonishingly powerful, but it is a little on the heavy side, this may be what to expect from a commercial class upright though. Able to ramp up to a higher suction power with a smooth fingertip control, the Hoover Commercial HushTone Vacuum features self-sealing HEPA filtration bag technology to completely remove allergens, pet dander and pollen from the air while in use. The cord has been designed to be easily replaceable to reduce downtime in case of any breaks in the cable.AVAILABLE ON AMAZON
The Sharp APEX AZ1002 DuoClean is a very versatile vacuum for an upright. The lift-away pod is great for cleaning stairs, down the side of the sofa or even the car (if you have an extension long enough). It runs at a moderate noise level of around 70dBa which is not the quietest on this list, but still well below the average vacuum noise. The Sharp DuoClean comes with a series of tools for upholstery and for lifting pet hair. The HEPA filter and anti allergen seal make this a great choice for those with allergies.
- 8.8 Quart capacity drum
- Bagless, allergen complete sealed design
- Dual brush roll is self cleaning
- Great lift away pod is really good for cleaning stairs and hard to reach places.
- 1350 Watts – powerful for deep cleaning on all surface types
- A bit on the heavy side at 16 lbs.
Hitting the sweet spot between heavy but powerful upright vacuums and lift away hand-helds, the Shark Apex DuoClean Corded Vacuum is a great cleaning tool for everyday use around the house and with automobiles. Incredibly strong and competitive in terms of noise rating. It utilizes many of Shark’s in house technologies to give you great performance.AVAILABLE ON AMAZON
With this selection we bring you the Miele Complete C3 vacuum, but not on it’s own, with a complete bundle of accessories of gadgets that make sure every job is covered. You will be thankful for the bundle and the difference that all these included items can make to your cleaning routine. One vital inclusion here, is the pack of 16 replacement AirClean bag filters. The Miele C3 in not bagless, and requires these filters to run, so you will be thankful for the replacements over time. In terms of noise, the Miele C3 runs at around the 64dBA which is competitive with the other quiet models in this list.
- The 1200 Watts Vortex motor is powerful!
- Included bundle comes with replacement bag filters, HEPA filter, and 4 Pre-Motor Filters
- Miele SEB-228 Powerhead is good for restoring volume to thick pile carpet
- Comes with 5 additional brush heads to deal with all kids of floor types and jobs
- Great for allergies, and pet owners
- Uses bag filters – it does come with replacements however.
- Not cheap
The Miele C4 is a great all rounder. It’s good for medium to deep pile carpets, in fact it’s really good here. It has attachments to help lift pet hair and small particles, so good for pet owners. It’s powerful but quiet. The only concern for me is that it uses bag filters, but at least it comes with lots of replacements to keep you going!AVAILABLE ON AMAZON
I’ve always been a bit sceptical of robot vacuums since I first saw one a few years ago now. I always thought they look like the kinds of thing you would see on the shopping channel, bashing into the presenters feet as they try to sell their pitch. My experience of the Dser RoboGeek 20T came as quite a surprise then, as this machine makes full use of the ample technology under it’s hood.
Most importantly to me, besides performance, is how quiet the vacuum operates. I was happily surprised to find the Dser RoboGeek 20T operating around the 58dBa level, which for a vacuum, is exceptional. It will clean on all surfaces, though the batter will last longer on hard surfaces (up to 100 min) than on thicker carpet (up to 60 mins on max power). This is a powerful robotic vacuum with a 600ml bin capacity.
- 16ooPa of powerful suction
- 600ml bin capacity
- Long battery life (100 mins on hard surface, 60 mins on soft surface)
- Loaded with sensors, can find it’s way home to charging bay if set up correctly
- Can program for auto cleaning or use remote for manual
- 6 Cleaning modes and comes with magnetic boundary strips (stops it venturing into unwanted places)
- Great value for money, and a real time saver
- As will all ‘state of the art’ tech, there can be a few teething issues.
- Occasionally repeats a function when a sensor needs cleaned but most issues are easily resolved.
The Dser RoboGeek 20T is sturdy enough to traverse the terrain of most grimy floors, powerful enough to lift from even heavy carpet and has enough battery life to complete most jobs in a single charge. It may seem somewhat ‘geeky’ but if your into tech, and into saving your own time, it’s quiet enough to get the job done while you have a nap.AVAILABLE ON AMAZON
The name Dyson goes hand in hand with innovation and hi-tech, but rarely could you consider their products to be quiet. The Dyson hand dryer for example, may well remove moistsure from your hands, perhaps even some skin but quiet? No. The Dyson V8 Cordless Vacuum, however, with an operating noise of around 70 dBa, could, as far as vacuums go, be considered to be relatively quiet. Not only that, but this thing is a beast at lifting dirt from all surfaces.
The last Dyson cordless I tried let me down over time with the gradual degradation of the battery, but so far this has not been a problem with the Dyson V8. You get up to a full 40 mins of life from a full charge, and every minute of that is powerful, no slip in performance. The filter is superb and it’s also washable. The suction is outstanding, much better than the old Dyson V7 and most others out there today.
- Quick button release to empty collection drum
- Patented cyclonic technology
- Can interchange between handheld and full size vacuum with a single click of a button
- Elegant design
- comes with six tool/tool head attachments for different functions
- Wall mountable charging doc
- Whole machine filtration, captures particles as small as 0.3 microns
- The price, Dyson are expensive, but high quality.
- Battery drains significantly quicker on full power mode
For quiet operation you will want to run this vacuum in the lower power mode. The added benefit of that though is that you get the most out of the battery life, while also maintaining enough power for most jobs. The filtration system in this hoover is great, and it even performs will on my thick pile carpet.AVAILABLE ON AMAZON
Moosoo bring you a quite cordless vacuum with incredible power in this machine. Two things that don’t always go together, but they marry very well together in this vacuum. The brushless motor generates 200 Watts of power and 23 KPA of strong suction, which is a notable improvement over earlier models. One feature I particularly like is the filter system. I’m used to seeing 3 stage filters but this 4 stage filter is great for picking up allergens and filtering out small particles. The 4 filtration stages are cyclone, honeycomb, screen filtration and finally the HEPA filter.
In terms of noise, the Moosoo Cordless Vacuum has a quiet operation at 67dBA, which is admirable for a vacuum that offers this level of power, versatility and lifespan.
- 4 Stage filtration system – The HEPA filter is also washable
- Lightweight – 2.84 lbs and Cordless
- 3 Detachable and serviceable parts.
- 30 Mins cleaning time from a charge of the large battery
- Quiet 67 dBA working mode for less noisy operation
- Brushless motor – 50000 RPM and 700 hours service life
- 200 Watts, 23KPA of strong suction
- Comes with a wall mount and detachable battery
- Easy to assemble
- Might struggle to get round a large house on a single battery charge
- Better on hard and shallow surfaces than on thick pile carpets
The Moosoo is a great performer for its price range, and with the battery being detachable, you can always purchase a second battery to increase your hoovering time. This may be necessary for larger houses that take longer than 30 minutes to get round. All in all, it’s a great quiet hoover for the money.AVAILABLE ON AMAZON
Depending on your cleaning needs, there is a quiet vacuum cleaner model to suit every budget and task. Powerful canister and upright vacuum cleaners are better designed for daily cleaning of large surfaces while wet/dry janitorial vacuum cleaners and handheld models are better for specialty tasks. Whether relying on better insulation of the motor and hose or improvements in suction technology, today’s quiet vacuum cleaners offer the same level of professional cleaning as similar models but produce far less noise.